Project Category: Government
Sub Category: Best Government to Government (G2G) Initiative of the Year
Reference No: eMaharashtra2013/awards/73
Details of the Applicant:
Name: VIRENDRA SINGH
Designation: COLLECTOR & DISTRICT MAGISTRATE SINDHUDURG
Organization: COLLECTOR OFFICE
Address : COLLECTOR OFFICE SINDHUDURGNAGARI
Zip Code: 416812
Organization Website: sindhudurg.gov.in
Details of the Agency implementing the Project/Initiative:
Name of the Organization: COLLECTOR OFFICE SINDHUDURG
Address: TALUKA: KUDAL
Zip Code: 416812
Head of Organization: VIRENDRA SINGH
Head Designation: COLLECTOR & DISTRICT MAGISTRATE
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
e-Office (Paperless Office) has been implemented in Sindhudurg District with effect from 24th December 2012. Sindhudurg District is the first district in the country to have implemented paperless office setup . e-Office is a web based system developed by NIC and hosted at National Data Centre (NDC), New Delhi. The e-Office system is accessible through NICNET and MSWAN connectivity. It is highly secure and not accessible via Broad Band unless you have VPN connection. 1. eFile – File Management System 2. KMS – Knowledge Management System 3. eLeave -Leave Management System 4. eTour – Tour Management System 5. PIS – Personal Information System Management The eOffice system is protected and is operated using Digital Signature Tokens (DSC) which has been issued to every Officers / Employees. The most important of the modules is e-File (File Management System). E-File is a work flow based system that involves the handling of files with a more efficient electronic system. The eOffice has transformed the entire revenue administration in Sindhudurg District to a paperless, more transparent and accountable organization with a planned approach in day to day functioning. Ever Since the inception we have handled more than 16000 files and over 36000 receipts electronically.
he primary objective of eOffice is to transform conventional administrative setup to more efficient and transparent organization eliminating delays and huge amount of paper work. E-Office aims to support governance by using more effective and transparent inter and intra-government processes, in turn improving the governance and the service delivery. The eOffice has ensured backend office automation to deliver services to the citizens in a time bound manner with total transparency. Also the e-Office aims at reducing the drudgery for the employees and provide them quality work environment. It also aims at permanent storage of records electronically. Another noble and rational objective of e-Office is to promote Green-Governance by turning the administration totally paperless. The e-Office also aims at providing remotely operated offices and giving the finest example of “Administration from Anywhere”. In essence we can say that the eOffice aims at providing lean, clean and green governance with total transparency.
Target Group: All the Revenue Employees of the District Collector Office, Two SDO Offices and Eight Taluka (Tahsil) Offices.
Geographical Reach within India: Entire Sindhudurg District spread over approximately 5500 square kilometers.Being a web based system it has a global coverage.
Geographical Reach outside India: Web Based System. Has a global coverage.
Date From which the Project became Operational: 24-12-2012
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
List 5 achievements of the programme/project/initiative:
1.Total Transparency and Accountability.
2.Effective Monitoring & Quick disposals of Cases.
3.Exact locations of Files and Receipts.
4. Permanent Preservation of knowledge (KMS) and Records.
5. Better work environment and efficiency.
List 5 Key challenges faced while implementing the project/programme/initiative and how they were overcome:
1.Business Process Reengineering (BPR).: To carry out the entire business process reengineering as per the e-Office was a daunting task as the number of subjects tackled by the District Collector’s Office is huge and doing it in the errorless manner was challenging. BPR was tackled in three generic steps in a very systematic manner. Filing system modified as per the CSMOP. Process / Sub- Process defined and uploaded for entire revenue administration after considerable Brain Storming.
2. Resource Gap Analysis and Covering the Gap The analysis and subsequent covering of the infrastructure gap was the second challenge we faced. A detailed Gap analysis with respect to Hardware, Software and Network issues was done with the help of NIC. After the gap analysis we procured the best available Hardware through DIT, GoM. VPN Connectivity was provided to every officer / employee where there is no NICNET/MSWAN connectivity. Also the critical posts were given laptops and VPN facilit.
3. Change Management While implementing any new initiative the most challenging task is the change management as it is very difficult to change the set ups in existence for centuries. Officers / Staff were trained and appraised about the benefits and advantages of the e-office. The training initially revolved around the need for change and motivation. Continuous Training and effective trouble shooting was given close attention to, for sustained motivation. We also made use of demonstration.
4. Lack of trained man power and Resource Persons: Training imparted to every officer / employee on eOffice in an interactive mode. Over 80 group training sessions, numerous rounds of desk to desk training, use of e-Buddy system for hand holding and creation of permanent resource persons for day to day functioning. To have continuity in the process of training e-Office champions were identified and trained exhaustively. These people are the backbone of the system now.
5. Scanning of old documents & files and migration from Physical file mode to electronic file mode Record classification was undertaken and at the same time scanning load was ascertained. Heavy duty scanners were deployed and time frame was fixed for scanning the old documents and files. After scanning the physical files were migrated to electronic environment through trained personnel. This was a huge task. We were able to consign over 25000 files to record rooms and the current files.