Sub Category: Best Government to Citizens (G2C) Initiative of the Year
Reference No: eMaharashtra2013/awards/139
Details of the Applicant:
Name: Sanjay Kolte
Designation: Joint IGR
Organization: Department of Registration & Stamps, Government of Maharashtra
Address: Department of Registration & Stamps,
Zip Code: 411001
Organization Website: http://igrmaharashtra.gov.in/
Details of the Agency implementing the Project/Initiative:
Name of the Organization: National Informatics Center
Address: National Informatics Centre, Ganesh Khind Road,
Zip Code: 411001
Head of Organization: Mrs. Pratibha P Joag
Head Designation: Deputy Director General
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
The Department of Registration & Stamps looks after registration of documents, preservation of documents, and recovery of stamp duty. Registration is the biggest activity. To bring more efficiency, transparency & effectiveness in registration process, department started ‘Computerisation of Registration’ project called SARITA in 2002 on Build-Operate-Transfer basis. The registration of a document consists of clerical activities like data entry, capturing photos of parties on document etc. and scrutiny of document. More sensitive part of registration process i.e. scrutiny of document remained with the Sub-Registrar whereas all clerical work was outsourced. Current version of software called as iSARITA is a web-based application accessible in private network of Department. iSARITA has reduced the average time of registration to 30 minutes. The thumb impressions and photographs of parties (including identifiers) are also being taken during registration. For iSARITA login and registration, the biometric authentication of Sub-Registrar’s thumb impression is being carried out. The citizens have also been given facility to do their own data entry. This project is perfect example of how efficiency and transparency can be brought in government system using PPP model. The success of this project has been widely recognized and the project has attracted attention of many other states.
Objective: iSARITA-BOT project was launched after a clear cut understanding of the problems and constraints in the registration process and its transformation into computerized registration process, keeping following objectives in mind:
1. Develop a simple, speedy & reliable registration process.
2. Build consistency & uniformity in the process.
3. Provide transparency in the valuation of the properties.
4. Automate all the back office functions.
5. Remove discretions at the cutting edge level by automation on Scrutiny, Valuation, and Checking for support certificates.
6. An easy, reliable & cost effective archival system and effective search.
7. Facility for search of the previous 12 year transactions.
8. Set quality & time standards & to have a system of evaluation of offices / officers on the basis of these standards.
9. Provide backward & forward linkages with the land records & revenue department.
10. Provide information to users freely and easily.
Target Group : Registrants doing Registration in Maharashtra
Geographical Reach within India: Every small village, town, city across IndiaState of Maharashtra
Geographical Reach outside India: Only Data Entry can be done from anywhere. iSARITA scope is within Maharashtra only
Date From which the Project became Operational: 9-7-2011
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
List 5 achievements of the programme/project/initiative:
1. Original document to be returned within 30 minutes along with thumbnail printout after registration and mini-CD containing scanned image of registered document
2. Correct input data entry possible with the help of public data entry or data entry through MKCL outlets. At present, in more than 60% registrations the citizen come to Sub-Registrar Office after doing their own data entry.
3. More transparent process.Centralized monitoring is being carried out using dashboard created for IGR and Deputy Inspector General (DIGs) heading division.Up to date data available for managerial decision making
4. Verification of stamp duty, registration fees collected, and documents registered
5. No need for photocopy of document.Printouts of approximately 6 crore printouts could be eliminated annually
List 5 Key challenges faced while implementing the project/programme/initiative and how they were overcome:
1. Challenge – Slow rollout of project. Initiative – Head of the department took daily review meetings to solve problems of the SRO which were facing difficulty in launching iSARITA
2. Challenge – Regular connectivity disruptions due to defaulting NSP. Initiative – Regular network disruptions were experienced due to bad service from NSP. Department helped BOT vendors to engage a quality NSP at reasonable cost
3. Challenge – Data quality & time. Initiative – To ensure good quality of data and to meet target of 30 mins registration, Department launched Data Entry Module on internet. This module enabled registrants to enter data themselves prior coming to Sub Registar office.
4. Challenge – Functional Soundness. Initiative – iSARITA software started facing some functional issues with time, as slowly & slowly exceptional functional cases started coming forth. To cover all such cases Department appointed a private vendor to get the software functionally audited.
5. Challenge – Resistance from field level officers. Initiative – Initially there was resistance from field level offices and other stakeholders of this project. To overcome this resistance department organised
PPT URL: http://igrmaharashtra.gov.in/