Project Category: Government
Sub Category: Best Financial Inclusion Initiative of the year
Reference No: eMaharashtra2013/awards/132
Details of the Applicant:
Name: Shri D K Singh IAS
Organization: Department of MSME
Zip Code: 751001
Organization Website: http://msmeodisha.gov.in/
Details of the Agency implementing the Project/Initiative:
Name of the Organization: NIC Odisha
Address: Unit-IV,Sachivalaya Marg
Zip Code: 751001
Head of Organization: S.K.Panda
Head Designation: DDG-cum-SIO
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
MSMEs are integral to the growth of the Indian economy. To spur their growth and development the MSMED Act was introduced in 2006.Several states in the country have taken initiatives as well to promote MSMEs. In the State of Odisha, there are provisions for attractive incentives governed by clear policies. Owing to the recognized importance of the MSME sector in the State’s economy , it has witnessed an average investment growth of 10% in the last six years. An Entrepreneur Memorandum (EM) is to be filed with the District Industries Center (DIC), by a Micro, Small or Medium enterprise, as the case may be, under sub-section (1) of section 8 of the MSMED Act, 2006. Currently, EMs are filed physically at the DICs by entrepreneurs in Odisha. Several challenges have been identified with respect to the manual process followed at DICs for issuance of EM-I acknowledgement. • Separate files are maintained for both EM- I and EM- II applications of a single enterprise. This leads to inability in tracking implementation of intent of investments; i.e. conversion of EM Part – I to EM Part – II • The DICs do not adhere to fixed time scales for issuing the EM1 acknowledgement and it is not possible for the investor to track the status of the EM-1 application • The entrepreneurs need to visit the DICs physically to submit the EM1 application and many of them do not look forward to dealing directly with DICs as they are not perceived to be very investor-friendly.
Objective: MSME Department, Government of Odisha intends to have the provision for online filing of EM-I form by an applicant with the aim of achieving of following objectives.
► Encourage higher rates of EM-1 registration to enable more MSMEs to become organized and eligible for benefits under various Government schemes
► Make the process of filing of EM-I form easier for the applicant through anytime-anywhere registration
► Real-time status tracking to make it more transparent for the applicant
► Track the conversion of EM-I to EM-II
Target Group : Entrepreneur, GM-DIC, Directorate
Geographical Reach within India: Anywhere
Geographical Reach outside India: Anywhere
Date From which the Project became Operational: 1-4-2013
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
List 5 achievements of the programme/project/initiative:
1. • Encourage higher rates of EM-1 registration to enable more MSMEs to become organized and eligible for benefits under various Government schemes
2. Make the process of filing of EM-I form easier for the applicant through anytime-anywhere registration
3. Real-time status tracking to make it more transparent for the applicant
4. Track the conversion of EM-I to EM-II
5. To know district / DIC wise EM-I filed
List 5 Key challenges faced while implementing the project/programme/initiative and how they were overcome:
1. Awareness among entrepreneurs : Demonstration of the application during entrepreneur week to the participant. Advertisement in newspaper.
2. Awareness among DIC officials : Conducting 2 workshops at Bhubaneswar and 10 workshops at 10 different districts.
3. Replacing the manual process : Stopped the manual process from 1st of april and engaging a dedicated team to sort out any issue. Having a help desk (web enabled) and extending telephonic help to the entrepreneurs
4. Replacing the signature : Instead of signature , the Digital signature is used.
5. Replacing the delay in issuing the EM-I : Automated approval by the system in case the GM,DIC is not approving / rejecting / keeping on Hold.
Documents publishing URL: http://as1.ori.nic.in/msme/help_dir/guideline.pdf